April 20, 2011

Never Forget


My Grandma took this photo a few years back.

Its been twelve years today, since the shootings at Columbine.

Its cold, gloomy, and overcast today.

Jon was there.

We didn't know each other yet. But I am so incredibly blessed that his life was protected that day.

I dealt with my own tragedy just 10 days later which led me to CHS the following year.

It was all in His plan. I would have never met Jon, if not for these circumstances.

Today, Jon and I feel so blessed. We have come so far.

That day, that day, will NEVER be forgotten.

We have a beautiful family, growing everyday.

We are surrounded by friends and family that love and care for us.

We are sad today, and mourn the loss of the 15 killed that day. We are sad for their families. They were robbed of the blessings we share today.

Many of our classmates have their own children now, or soon will. As Jon and I chatted briefly about the significance of today before he left for work this morning, I welled up with tears. Cecilia gleefully chased the dog, completely unaware of any difference that today had for her parents. She will only hear stories, and know that it was something that her parents went through. But she will never understand fully.

This year it means more to us. It means more because we are parents. We can't imagine loosing a child, and that makes us so much more sympathetic toward all of the parents that did loose their child that day. We understand more.

Facebook is powerful. I am proud to be part of such a strong, loving, supportive group of classmates. It is such a blessing to have the closeness that our classmates share. To feel so connected to so many of our classmates, no matter where we are on the planet, we are all connected today. The amount of Columbine photos that showed up today as profile pictures was moving.

Its said that what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. 4/20/1999 Never Forget.

2 comments:

Elaine VanDRiver said...

What a lovely post. I had no idea you were connected to this school. Sending up good thoughts for those killed today...

Unknown said...

I felt so blessed by those posts and those darn flowers. Silly how Facebook can make you feel such a part of things. I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such a wonderful group of people.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...