December 21, 2011

Soup is SO the New Casserole, A Recipe for You

When you are on a dairy free diet, casseroles become obsolete.  Just about every casserole recipe I use or want to use has cheese, milk, or Cream of _____ Soup in it.  In the colder months, I love making casseroles, but this year, I've learned the value of a good soup.  Jon is still adjusting (I think its a man thing- for some reason they don't consider soup to be a main dish).  Here is a new favorite at our house: Black Bean Chicken Soup.  I like it because it requires absolutely no cutting or chopping.  I have to open a few cans and a package of chicken to open and that's it.  This also means that I can safely make a full meal with a baby on my hip :) It also freezes and reheats really well.

Here is the recipe:

1 cup salsa
2 cans black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies
2-3 cups chicken broth
2 chicken breasts

Add the salsa into a pan over medium heat, bring to a sizzle.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, reserving a quarter of the tomatoes chillies.  Bring to a boil and let it cook for 20 minutes.  Remove the chicken breasts and shred.  I've discovered (via Pinterest) the easiest and fastest way to shred the chicken is via Kitchen Aid Mixer.  While the chicken is shredding, turn heat off and puree the soup using a hand held emulsion blender, or your food processor.  It doesn't have to be completely pureed (I like it a little chunky).  Set the Add the chicken, reserved tomatoes and chilies back into the pot.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  If needed add more broth to bring to desired consistency.  Let simmer for at least 5 minutes.  Serve with warm tortillas.









Those are baked avocado fries on the left there (YUMMY).  Find the recipe for those here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...