October 29, 2013

Rest In Peace, Nicole

A few years back, I blogged about a high school classmate, Nicole, who was battling breast cancer.  You can read those blogs here, here and here.  Since I last blogged, Nicole's cancer went into remission, and then came back with a vengeance.  In June, the cancer had spread to her brain with over 16 tumors.  And while her optimism and faith shined through, her body could not keep up.  She fought the cancer once again with chemo and with gama knife surgery.  In late August, the cancer debilitated her drastically when it spread to her spinal fluid.  She attended the Denver Race for the Cure in late September and was given an award.  Nicole passed away on Sunday, October 20, 2013.  She now rests in peace with no cancer.

She leaves her husband and her 4 1/2 year old daughter.  For me, this is the hardest part.  Her daughter.  Her daughter, the same age as my Cecilia.  Her daughter only has a mommy in heaven.  I know that her daughter will be raised with a wonderful family around her, and her daddy will take great care of her, but no one can replace her mommy.

Jon and I attended the funeral for Nicole on Saturday the 26th.  It was a beautiful tribute to Nicole.  Nicole planned every detail of her funeral, and it was clear that she was present.  She wanted a celebration in pink, and the church was filled with pink.  There was easily over 500 people present.  We recognized many classmates that came to show support and say goodbye.  The funeral was attended by local news anchors and other media professionals that have been apart of her story from the begining, including the author of this article, which was read during the funeral.

Nicole will be missed by so many people.  It is so hard to believe that she is really gone.

Rest in peace, Nicole.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, she looks so glam in that picture! What a lovely, inspiring soul. I'm glad you guys were able to make it. I had such mixed feelings about it. In the end, though, the decision was made for me and I think it was the right one for me - even though it was hard not being there. I honored her while walking down the street with my fam. I'm pretty sure she'd be okay with that. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...