March 29, 2010

On the Mend

Surgery last week was a routine success. That is how we like surgery to be. Jon and I arrived on time at the hospital, fully expecting them to be running late. As it was, the were early and ready for me. My parents arrived with Cecilia shortly before I went in to the O.R. The last thing that I remember is being wheeled into the room, scooting on to THE table, and a mask coming over my face. I stayed the night in the hospital, with big dreams of getting TONS of sleep- HA! My pain was fairly substantial, and I was glad to have the button to push for direct pain meds into my IV. The worst part of the whole thing was the nursing staff. I was way less than impressed with their responsiveness to my calls and questions. At about 8pm I had to go to the bathroom, but I didn't see a nurse until 9PM! At 11:00 I paged, and didn't see a nurse until 1:30! By that time I really had to pee, and I was mad! In the morning, the gas pains started. I have never in my life experienced gas pains in my shoulder and chest like that. I thought I was having a heart attack. When I paged at 9, I got ZERO response, and it wasn't until 9:15 when I was screaming in pain that someone finally came in and gave me drugs and helped me out of bed. I let the charge nurse know all of this before I left, I was not pleased at all. They must hear this all the time though, because she promptly brought me a goody bag with a sticker that read "Please accept my apology". Give me a break! I was glad to get out of there and get home.

My nervousness about Cecilia was all for nothing, a good thing. She did great with Dad and Grandma around. She ate like a champ from her bottle, and I was able to nurse her as soon as I got home. My pain was low enough, that I only took one Vicodin after she went to bed, and Jon did the first feeding on the night I came home. I've been able to manage on Ibuprofen since then. It has been great having my Mom here. She has been an angel. I am feeling so much better already, and Mom is headed home today.

Here is a side of me that you have never seen before (WARNING: Not for the squeemish type!).
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...