August 17, 2011

Little Kleptomaniac

In the past four days Cecilia has stolen two pair of sunglasses, two packs of batteries, and a gallon of milk. Good thing she's cute.

We went to the mall on Friday and while I was rapidly choosing a new pair of sunglasses at one of those kiosk things, (because my last pair has fallen into the great unknown), I gave Cecilia the bag to hold from the last store we were at last. This was in an effort to keep her little hands busy, and give her something to focus on. In a matter of two minutes I selected and purchased a new pair. All the while, attempting to keep Cecilia's hands off of the rest of the sunglasses. On Saturday morning when I finally got around to opening the bag, I was perplexed when I found sunglasses... she snuck two pairs into the bag. This resulted in a return trip to the mall on Saturday to return the stolen glasses. The reaction from the girls manning the booth was interesting. They really didn't say anything. They just gave us this strange look, It was a combination of confused, upset, annoyed, and grateful. I guess they don't cover what to do if an "honest citizen returns something their child didn't intend to steal" in training.

On Monday, we did the grocery shopping. At King Soopers, Cecilia was riding in the basket seat, and as I was checking out, she was in arms length of the kiosk with all of the impulse buy items right there. As the checker bagged my groceries, she put the bags back in the cart. Cecilia then took batteries off the kiosk and put them in the bags. As I was putting the groceries away, I mysteriously found two packs of batteries! At this point I was starting to get nervous that the cops were going to show up at the door. I returned the batteries to Kings, and the clerks reaction was just as interesting as the sun glass girls. I handed her the batteries and explained that my two year old accidentally stole these when I was checking out. All she heard was that I was returning them and began to scan the barcodes and open the cash drawer. I had to explain again that she stole them. The clerk gave me this confused look (I had seen it before), and then the light bulb went on. She said "she stole them?" I said "yes". She said "Oh, thank you, you are a good person".

The milk, well that was mostly me, but partly Cecilia. We went to Target. Lilly rode in the buggy part of the cart because C insisted on sitting in the seat. Fine (there are some battles that are not worth it). The milk would not fit in the buggy with Lilly in there, so it went to the bottom of the cart. It never got paid for, and it never got loaded into the car. I don't know how long it sat in the Target parking lot, but my gut tells me that they were not able to return it to the shelves.

From now on, I will be checking my bags, and all parts of the cart, before I leave the store. Better yet- C starts school in a few weeks, I'll do my shopping without her :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...