July 17, 2010

Last Journal Entry

Remember this post, about Petey going to Ethiopia. I mentioned how moved I was to hear him read his last journal entry to my mom and I. He has given me permission to share it with all of you. I hope that you find it as inspiring as I did.

Last journal entry: Ethiopia: 6/14/10

It is my last night in Africa, and I have come to realize a few things. When I came home from Africa after my previous trip in 2008, I came back to the U.S. feeling lucky; feeling as though I was privileged to live in America because I had so much more than others. I am very proud to be an American, though I now have a better understanding of happiness. On this trip I was fortunate enough to build a few relationships with some people in the orphanage, as well as the Doctors. They showed me the true value of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I see things in this country such as, poverty, HIV and other disease, economic crisis, crop failure, poor living conditions, and little government influence. However, I also see people smiling, people laughing, and little worry about what tomorrow might bring. When I look at my own country, I see that we depend on our government or someone else to take care of us. We expect more than we deserve; and we put ourselves before our family. These people have less than what is necessary for sustainable living, yet they have smiles from ear to ear. They earn every bit of Birr (Ethiopian currency) that they work for and they put the right foot forward. Money cannot buy happiness, and material is insignificant.

I think it is wonderful that I can travel to the other side of the world and feel so welcomed. But I now understand that not everything or even anything about this developed country appealing to everybody. America is a lighthouse for the rest of the world. I will never take that for granted.

“If God gives someone lemons, he should first thank God. Then, he should teach someone how to make lemonade, and give them the seeds to plant in their garden. “ -Pete Ambrose

Humans have a tendency to head into life expecting to do one thing, and find out that the need is for something completely different. Allem Seged (orphanage director) is truly a saint. I went into this expecting to start building him a farm. The farm was already there, though they still need much help with it. I was expecting to help him… God already gave Allem lemons, now I have seeds for my garden. Thank you, God.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow - what an amazing trip and perspective to have! I'm glad he is home safely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...