August 16, 2013

Breech at 39 weeks and 4 days


I was at mass on Wednesday night, by myself (which was such a treat for me), and I felt baby move.  Not usually something to worry about, but this was not a normal movement.  This was the gymnastics that was reminiscent of the 36 week movements baby was doing.  I felt baby flip and I knew I had a baby head in my right ribs and a butt in my left hip.  Keep in mind I was 39 weeks and 4 days at this point.  I got home, and told Jon, and tried not to freak out.  I did some stretches and went to bed, hoping the baby would flip back on their own overnight.  Thursday morning I woke up in a still very uncomfortable state, and I knew baby was not in the right spot for delivery.  

I somewhat impatiently waited to call my midwives office to see what needed to be done.  They patched me through to the nurse who told me to "wait it out, and do some cat stretches."  YA RIGHT!!!  Hello!  I'm due on SATURDAY, not in three weeks!  I called back and made an appointment to see a midwife ASAP, and I am so glad I did.  A basic exam and an ultrasound confirmed my suspicion and intuition,  baby was in fact breech.  I still had plenty fluid to do a version, and Jon and I headed to the hospital at 3:30 in the afternoon, fully prepared to have a C- section or be induced if needed. 

The version was fairly painful.  The drug they gave me felt like taking a hit of an inhaler times five, or drinking about 6 cups of coffee and running 4 miles.  It lasted about three hours, even though they said it would wear off in about 20-30 mins.  The doctor was great, she flipped baby in about 30 seconds, but it was not fun for me at all.  She basically dug her fingers into my belly like claws and turned the baby.  
After some discussion with the midwife on call, we decided not to induce.  The risk of induction did not out weigh any benefit to the baby currently being head down.  Especially since I was only dilated to a 1.5 on Monday and haven't really had any contractions this week.  Now, if baby flips again, before I go into labor, we might have a different story.  Most likely, I'll go immediately for a version again, and if that is successful, they will induce me right away.

So, now we wait, and pray that baby stays head down.  I know the baby will come out, and it is not my timing.  I hope it is soon, but I know I am not in charge of this process.  If I am still pregnant this time next week, I might have a different song to sing.  But, for now, I am being patient and letting baby grow as much as they need to.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...