September 21, 2011

Just Like Riding A Bike

My MOPS group has a book club that is loosely associated with it. I haven't participated in the past because, honestly, reading is not really my thing. I used to enjoy reading before I had kids and had two 25 minute bus rides each day. But all that block of time, suddenly disappeared about two years ago. I've made it a new goal of mine to read more, and so I thought that by getting into the book club would be a perfect way to do that. So, a few weeks ago, I bought the book for this months club, "The Boy In the Stripped Pajamas", and I finished it on Saturday night. It was very good, by the way.

On Sunday, I was telling Jon that I might walk to the book club meeting because it was just about a mile from the house. He suggested that I could ride my bike. This small suggestion made my heart go pitter patter, in an excited nervous kind of way. I think the last time I rode my bike was the summer of 2008. Not joking. So, I did. I rode my bike. To a book club for a book I had completed.

Now, this might not sound too exciting, or all that newsworthy to some of you, but for me it is. This meant getting back some of the things that I used to do before kids. It meant that I was getting back a balance of "Beth in Mommy-hood" and "Beth as Beth". It was nice to get that sense of individuality back just by turning a page and peddling a bike. And these things came to me with such ease, just like riding a bike.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...