March 06, 2014

A Surprise Filled and Eventful Weekend...

Where to start???...  How about I start with the phrase of "God has a sense of humor".  Then, I'll start at the beginning.  This last weekend, some good friends invited us to join them at a town home in Silverthorne for the weekend.  We planned to join them for Friday night and Saturday but had plans on Saturday evening with our small group from church, so we planned to go to see the Ice Castles in Breckenridge and then head down the mountain from there.  It was very impromptu as we were invited up on Thursday for the next day, but we made it work.

Now, this is where it gets interesting.  I have to back up to January though, and I'll warn you, this might be too personal for some of you, but this is my blog and I want to remember these details.  So, my fertility has returned at 4 months to the day with both Cecilia and Lilly.  So I knew that I was going to start my period close to the end of December or early January.  January 1, like clockwork, I started.  We started tracking again right away with our trusty NFP tools, I ovulated on January 15th, my temperature dropped like it was supposed to and all was good.  I stopped tracking after my temperature dropped because that meant that we weren't pregnant, and I waited for my period to start again.

I woke up on February 4th, and thought it was a bit strange that I hadn't started yet, so I took a pregnancy test just to be sure.  It was negative.  OK, no big deal.  I'm nursing, I'm sure my hormones are just messing with my cycle.  On February 14th, the girls and I were driving past the building where the midwives are and Cecilia pointed out the "baby doctors".  Then Lilly Jeanne pipped up and said "Ya!  Mommy have baby boy in her tummy next week!".  This was totally cute, totally prophetic, and totally freaked me out because my period still had not started.  I took another pregnancy test on Sunday, the 16th.  It was negative.

Now, on Tuesday the 25th of February, I was folding the mountain of laundry like I do on every Tuesday afternoon and watching a show.  I felt this incredible peace and quiet come over me and I heard God tell me, "Trust me.  I want you to have a large family.  It is going to be ok."  It totally took me by surprise.  It was a very powerful moment, one that I will never forget.  I was thinking, Ok, God, I trust you, but I don't need to decide this right now.  I told Jon about it, and we both agreed that it was something that we didn't have to decide at that moment.

I had heartburn at bedtime on the 26th and 27th of February.  I never have heartburn, unless I'm you know what.  So on the 28th as we were preparing to go to the mountains with our friends, I had Jon stop at Target for a few items and a pregnancy test.  I wasn't going to take it until we got home the next day, but Jon told me I couldn't have him pick it up and then not take it right then.  So I took it just before we left.  The girls were loaded in the car, and I was peeing on a stick.  It was POSITIVE.  I was pretty much non-verbal for at least 10 minutes.  All I could say was "ahhh, AHHHHH, AH, UHHH, ummmmmm, UM!" or something like that. 

{On a side note, after discussing this with my midwives and two NFP teaching couples, the conclusion is that this was part of the 2% method failure rate of NFP.  NFP is 98% effective, higher than or equal to the effectiveness rate of all other form of birth control.}

My mind was spinning.  I couldn't speak.  My thoughts were all over the place: How did this happen?  I never had a period!?  We didn't get pregnant in January, but I never had a period??  I never had a period, but I ovulated in Februray, what??  February, March, April, May June, July, August, September, October, November... October/ November... that makes Nora just 14 months old.  14 MONTHS!!!  Are you crazy GOD?!?!  Trust you.  Yes, trust God.  You are soooo funny, God.  Ok, this is going to be ok.  Oh man, 4 kids, 5 and under.  Breathe Beth, just take a breath.  4 kids, two in cribs.  Two cribs, do we have room for two cribs.  We need to move.  We have to move, like, yesterday.  Can we stay in our house??  Can Cecilia move to the basement?  No, that won't work.  I can't trust her down there, it's not safe.  Those windows don't open, the stairs are so far away.  We are cramped as it is...  Cecilia. maybe she should go to full day kindergarten instead of just half day.  Another baby.  I just had a baby.  Will my body hold up?  I'm still nursing.  Will I be able to nurse Nora till she's one?  I really want to be able to nurse my baby Nora like I did Cecilia and Lilly, I might not be able too.  November.  That is this year.  We didn't budget for a baby this year.  Can we adjust our HSA contribution?  We just paid off our medical bills.  TRUST GOD, Beth!  Remember, His timing is always perfect...

Good thing Jon could function still so we could start heading up the hill.  In fact, he was almost too excited about the news.  We made it safely to Silverthorne and met up with our friends.  After the kids went to bed we shared our news with them, only because their #4 was also quite the surprise, and we knew they would be able to relate and be sympathetic.

On Saturday morning, we packed up and headed out to see the Ice Castles in Breckenridge.  It had snowed quite a bit the night before, and our Minnie Van is need of new tires.  We said a little prayer and headed out.  We didn't even make it out of the Town Home complex before a snow plow slid into us and hit the drivers side fender.  Fortunately it was just cosmetic damage and no one was hurt.  Minnie was shoved deep into a snow bank, and we had to be pulled out.



It put a big damper on our plans and delayed us for about two hours. We eventually made it to the castles and enjoyed our time with our friends.  The kids had so much fun!  There were tunnels and hide outs, caves, and lots of beauty.  Nora slept in her sling cozy in my jacket the whole time.



The highway was so backed up when we tried to head home that we ultimately decided that we should stay one more night.  The weather was not in our favor.  But fortunately, we made it home quickly and safely on Sunday morning with out anymore surprises.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...