November 02, 2012

Buzz and a Bug

Halloween is such a kids holiday.  Cecilia really did understand the concept this year.  I love how she says "trick-treat, thank you!" and "Happy Ha-o-ween".  She loved dressing up and going to the Halloween party at school.  Cecilia dressed as Buzz.  Lucky for me, her Godparents got her the costume for her birthday, so I didn't have to do any planning.  Her best buddy at school, Dominic, was Woody.  They were adorable together!



I decided to dress Lilly in a lily headband for the day time.  We were lucky to have the Great Ma stop by for lunch to show off Lilly as a lily.  Lilly was so sweet with Ma and dished out all sorts of snuggles and loves.  She melts me.

Halloween evening Lilly was dressed as the same ladybug that Cecilia was two years ago.  Gotta love reusing costumes!  The funny thing about this was that Lilly's little friend down the street, Morgan was the same ladybug too, and we didn't even know it!
Cecilia the Lady Bug, circa 2010


Lilly the Lady Bug, circa 2012

Trick-or-treating this year was so fun.  We didn't do too many houses, just the neighbors we know and a few others that Cecilia insisted on going to.  I don't know how long we can get away with only doing a few houses.  Grandma Cheryl joined us for dinner and trick-or-treating, and it was great to spend time with her.




This was the best family picture we got.  Some days are like this.



We visited our neighbor Rex.  In years past we have visited Rex & Eva, but sadly, Eva passed away this year on September 20.  She is sorely missed.


The "Thank you" count was good this year 37 "Thank Yous" and only 7 that needed some manners.  Total we had 44 trick-or-treater's, overall we were down 12 kids from last year, and 19 from the year before.  Not sure what that is about.  The weather was gorgeous- 70* and clear.  I think the Jessica Ridgeway event has played a big factor into this year.

We don't do a whole lot to "celebrate" the holiday.  I think it is fun to dress up and socialize with neighbors over candy, but I've never been a fan of the scary and evil connotations of the holiday.  I guess I'd rather celebrate the Autumn season.  It was never a big deal for me growing up, and it was largely underscored by the passing of my grandfather when I was 11 years old.  Rest in peace, Papa Nick.  My brother, Nick, is so good about honoring Papa Nick, he sent a text with a photo of his headstone as a reminder this year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...