November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Tree

We started a new tradition this year: the Thanksgiving Tree.  I found the idea on Pinterest last year, and have been thinking about it since.  When Jon and I went on our getaway, we visited an art gallery and found these beautiful sculpted trees.  I thought it would be perfect for our Thanksgiving tree.  Two problems, 1. It was $165, 2. It wasn't quite big enough.  So, we went back and studied the tree and decided we could probably make our own.  So I did, and I think the total cost was less than $15.

I found the bark covered wire at Hobby Lobby, and I found the branch base while on a walk with my Mom in the mountains.  I cut the tree branches to approximate length and then just twisted the them together to make the trunk and then shaped the individual wires out from there to make the branches.  I sprayed my wood base with some clear polyurethane and then tacked the wires at the base of the trunk to the real wood base with thumb tacks and colored them black with a sharpie.  I bought some pretty scrapbook paper and cut out leaves, and tied them to the tree with twine.   I loved the finished product.

Each day we would discuss as a family what we were thankful for.  On day one, we put "Family" on our leaf.  On day two, I asked Cecilia what she was thankful for.  I wasn't expecting her to get the concept, but she thought for a moment and said "Jesus!"  Jon and I were so shocked and happy.  YES! She got it, and what a wonderful thing to be thankful for.

In no particular order, here is some what we were thankful for in 2012:

  • Family
  • Jesus
  • Swings & Slides
  • Stella & Bogart
  • Food on the Table
  • Jon: The love of his life
  • Internet
  • 1st Dates, 12 years ago
  • Veterans of the USA
  • Our Health
  • Christmastime
  • Grandparents
  • Security Blankets
  • MOPS
  • Beth can be a Stay at Home Mom
  • Our House that keeps us warm, dry, comfortable, and safe
  • Fall Leaves to rake and play in
  • Petey is home safe!
  • Extended Family
  • Cecilia
  • Lillian
  • Good Friends
  • The Mountains
  • Spirit of Christ Community
  • Reliable Cars
  • Jon's Job
Here is the manifestation of our gratitude, our Thanksgiving Tree.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...